I started bodybuilding as a teenager. I was dead broke – just like you. I was desperate to find the absolute cheapest source of protein, and im guessing you are to.
I began lifting at home using my older brothers dumbbell set, then moved on to messing around in a few council gyms and health centres. Finally I got my head screwed on and joined a real gym. I felt like a true teenage bodybuilder. Arnold – eat your heart out.
I had to balance paying for food, a bus pass and text books for University. All on 6 hours at £6.50 an hour.
I was always on the lookout for the absolute cheapest source of protein. When I first started out bodybuilding, I had no idea about establishing macros or what foods were high in protein. I’d read copies of flex magazine, to string a basic high protein diet together – but it wasn’t cheap.
As a teenager, i needed the cheapest source of protein to fill out the largest part of my protein requirements to build muscle. If I only knew then, what I know now….
The absolute cheapest protein source i’ve ever found is whey protein powder.
Now before I jump any further into this article – I want to make it clear that im not saying your entire diet should be made up of sex, weights and protein shakes.
What im doing here is telling you what i’ve found to be the cheapest source of protein throughout my years of bodybuilding.
Whey Protein – The Absolute Cheapest Source Of Protein There Is
There are a ton of brands you can buy whey protein powder from in the UK. I’ve got brand pages with discount codes & deals for the biggest retailers in the UK listed on this site.
From personal experience and usage of a variety of different protein powders, retailers and brands, I’ve found Impact Whey to be the cheapest source of protein. In my Impact Whey Review I call it the best budget protein powder for a reason – its good quality and it’s (usually) the cheapest protein powder you can find in the UK.
Let me break it down for you…
How To Get The Cheapest Source Of Protein – 40g for £0.33
Whey protein is the most commonly used protein supplement among anyone who goes to a gym. There are a 3 different types of whey. The cheapest source of protein (and best value for money) is a whey protein concentrate.
You can pay a premium for a more expensive type of whey such as whey protein isolate, or hydrolysed whey protein, but we are concerned with getting the cheapest quality source of protein possible – and thats a whey protein concentrate.
You’ll have seen the big UK protein retailers such as GoNutrition, Bulk Powders, The Protein Works, Myprotein, Protein Dynamix and so on all selling their own types of whey under different names. Usually though it will be called “Whey 80” or something similar.
Myprotein’s whey protein branded as Impact Whey. All the retailers are fairly competitive and i’ve got supplement reviews for most of them on the site, but I typically stick with Myprotein for a whey as it tends to the cheapest consistently, especially when stacked with a my protein discount code.
In order to make this the cheapest protein source you can get your hands on, you’ll need to do the following.
- Add a 5kg pouch of unflavoured impact whey to your basket. This costs £46.79
- Use a myprotein discount code listed on this site at check out.
- If possible, hold out for a 30% off discount code – this will bring the price down to £32.78
- The codes I post on the site will always save you at least 10%. You can quite often save 20-30% of protein powder. Whenever you see a 30% discount, stock up like crazy.
- A 5kg bag contains 200 x 25g servings.
- Each serving provides around 20g of protein.
- Id personally advise you to double up on the serving, so you’ll be getting 40g of protein.
- Using 2 scoops means you get 100 servings. Each containing 40g of protein out of your 5kg bag of protein.
- With your 30% off myprotein discount code for impact whey, you get each serving for under £0.33
That is under £0.01 per gram of protein. This isn’t some cheap vegan protein crap from pea’s or rice either, its whey protein. The protein source with the highest biological value, and a complete amino acid profile.
Benefits Of Whey Protein
- Quickest & Easiest Protein Source You Can Eat (Or Drink)
- Very Filling. Check out this to view the effect of whey protein on satiation.
- Convenient to consume on the move
- Satisfies sweet tooth & lots of flavours
Your diet and lifestyle should be made up of more than just sex, weights & protein shakes. However if you are looking for the absolute cheapest source of protein, you should be including whey protein into your diet and supplement stack.
If you get sick of just drinking your protein, then check out these 10 must try protein baking recipes that will absolutely kill your sweet tooth cravings